Thursday, February 21, 2013

My Week at Camp Papercrete

I'm taking a few days off to indulge in some papercrete experimentation. Papercrete is an environmentally friendly building material, made mostly from recycled paper. It has a really high R value, which means it keeps the inside of buildings made with it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. I made a couple papercrete bricks a few years ago when I was thinking of building a studio in my backyard. This time I'm using it to make pots and planters.
 


 
A little shredded newpaper, a little water, a little cement. That's all there is to it.
 
Three pots in the process of hardening. I have only begun to explore my options for molds.
 
This one still needs to dry out completely, but when it's done it should be as sturdy as any clay pot. I can paint it or leave it in this natural state. It looks like concrete, but it is actually much lighter, since it's mostly just newspaper.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment